vrijdag 23 februari 2018

C.J. Tudor questioned

C Mariel Kolmschot
C.J. Tudor is one of mine favourite authors at this moment and what a surprise that we may asked some questions. 

She was born in Salisbury and grew up in Nottingham, where she still lives with her partner and young daughter.
She left school at sixteen and has had a variety of jobs over the years, including trainee reporter, radio scriptwriter, shop assistant, ad agency copywriter and voiceover 


While writing the Chalk Man she ran a dog-walking business, walking over twenty dogs a week as well as looking after her little girl. 

*********************************************

*Who is C.J. Tudor? Which five words will described you best and why?

Daft. Honest. Realistic. Disturbingly cheery.

I don’t take myself seriously. I hope for the best and plan for the worst. I hate negativity. If you are always thinking about what you don’t have you’ll never appreciate what you’ve got. The most important thing in life is to be kind.

*How did you come up with the plot of this first book?

A friend gave my little girl a tub of coloured chalks for her second birthday. We spent the afternoon drawing stick figures all over the driveway. Then we went inside and forgot about them. Later that night, I opened the back door and was confronted by these weird chalk drawings everywhere. In the darkness, they looked incredibly sinister. I called out to my partner: ‘These chalk men look really creepy in the dark. . .’

*What character in the book has most of you in it? Chloe?

Actually, probably Ed. I share his dark sense of humour and I’m a little odd myself – although I share more of Chloe’s dress sense . . . and taste in music!

*The Chalkman is your first book and is sold to 39 countries: how are your feelings about that?
How have you celebrate?

Still pretty amazed. It’s a very surreal feeling. We cracked open some champagne when we got the news. Oh, and we bought a new fridge freezer! Very rock and roll!

*Do you have a writing-routine or any writing rituals, and if so, what are they?

Not really. As long as I have somewhere to sit, a drink and my laptop I’m good to go!

*What was the soundtrack while you were writing? Can you name your 3 favourite numbers of the 80s? And contemporary ones?

I don’t listen to music while I write as I find it too distracting. My favourite 80’s songs are probably the classics: Love Cats by The Cure videoclip , Tainted Love by Soft Cell and Don’t You want Me by the Human League.

Now: Mr Brightside by The Killers videoclip , Get Better by Frank Turner and Walk by Foo Fighters.

*Do you plot out your book from start to finish and then write it down or let you your characters lead the story and see where they take you?

I hate plotting – I would be bored before I started. I like to let my characters lead the way, take me on a journey. You find more interesting diversions that way!

*What can distract you from writing?

Twitter. My little girl.

*When did you discover you wanted to be a writer?

I’ve written stories since I was little. I was an only child and lived in a total make-believe world. I always wanted to write but I didn’t think people like me could become authors. My parents encouraged to have more realistic aspirations!

A teacher of yours predicted that you would be writing a bestseller or become prime minister.  What was the base for these great expectations?

Well, I think it was a joke but my English teacher – Mr Webster - really encouraged my writing. I was also a big fan of debating. I love a good argument!

*You left school at the early age of 16, did you hate it that much?

I didn’t hate it but I didn’t have a great time in school either. I suffered from an eating disorder and, although I did very well in all my exams, the pressure of the school environment wasn’t good for me.

*What kind of books do you like to read yourself?
 
Pretty much what I write. Dark, twisted thrillers. Anything a little supernatural and I’m partial to a bit of sci-fi too.

*Can you name some books we have to read?

Well, out of recent reads: Behind Her Eyes by Sarah Pinborough.  The Colour of Bee Larkham’s Murder by Sarah J. Harris and The Innocent Wife by Amy Lloyd.

All time faves: The Shining by Stephen King, Spares by Michael Marshall Smith and Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan. Oh, and anything by Harlan Coben.

*In your biography is the funny text: the last time she ran on heels she broke a tooth. So no more heels now ?



I have never worn heels since. I didn’t wear them much back then – probably why I fell over. Well, that and the wine!

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten