woensdag 19 augustus 2020

Linwood Barclay questioned

Copr Michael Rafelson
 Our reviewer Tamara, is a BIG fan of Stephen King and Linwood Barclay. She recently read his new book "Elevator Pitch" , which received the full 5 crows(And she hardly ever gives it!) How happy Tamara was when she heard that she could ask questions to Linwood, it turned out, that at first, she thought this was a joke to her. But with a big notepad  she noted the following questions!



*What is your Nastiest/most annoying character trait according to your wife?

I don’t delegate enough.



*Do you have a certain ritual/rituals before you start writing?


I need my coffee when I head upstairs to my office, but that’s about it. Writing for me is a job. There’s nothing mystical or mysterious about it.  

 

*No Time For Goodbye  was a big bestseller! How did that feel?


It was amazing, and totally unexpected. I think it’s like the famous screenwriter William Goldman, when he was talking about whether a movie will be a hit or not: “Nobody knows anything.” Books you think will be a hit can fail, and books you never expected to be huge can go right to the top of the bestseller lists.

 

*What does your writing room look like?

The white walls are adorned framed animation art, book posters, and a large, framed portrait of Alfred Hitchcock shot by photographer Harry Benson. Lots of books, of course, aa well as model Batmobiles, the Seaview submarine from the 1960s TV show Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, and spaceships and other vehicles classic Gerry Anderson TV shows. 

 

*How long do you average about writing the story? (rough sketch to printing)


Once I have an idea I think works, I’ll spend a couple of weeks making notes, then about three months on a first draft. Then it’s off to my editors. How much more time I spend on it will depend on how good that first draft is. Generally, there will be, a few months alter, another three or four weeks of rewriting. And maybe six months after that, a book you can hold in your hand.

 

*What were your dreams when you were a little boy?


I wanted to make a car that could fly. But probably by age 11 or 12, I was dreaming up stories that I had to get down on paper. My father taught me to type when I was around 10, and I was writing 30-40 page novellas not long after. I was addicted to television and dreamed of being a scriptwriter. (My first real writing job was at age 22, when I joined a newspaper as a reporter.)

 

*What is the ultimate feeling of happiness for you?


Sitting on the deck with my wife, Neetha., looking out at the water, with a great book, some snacks and a drink. And falling asleep in the chair.

 

*What can keep you out of sleep?


When our grown kids are having some kind of problem. 

 

*What is your guilty pleasure?


I’m building a huge model railway in the basement of our house, but I don’t feel guilty about it. 

 

*What are you going to do if you ever put your pen down permanently?


Wander aimlessly and eat soft food, I guess. I figure, as long as I can keep the plots straight in my head, I’ll keep writing. 

 

*What can irritate you?


Wilful ignorance. People who embrace ideologies and conspiracy theories that are hateful, dangerous and blatantly illogical. Also, people who don’t use their turn signals. 

 

*Will you come to the Netherlands soon, so I can get a book signed ? (asking this with a big smile)


I would love to, I have been to Amsterdam once, about six years ago, for only about 36 hours, and most of my time, when I wasn’t sleeping, I was doing interviews. I so much wanted to tour the city. One of these days, when this coronavirus is over, I’d love to come back, and sign your book.D

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten